Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Training New Mission Secretary, Elder Driggs

Elder Knorr is doing well here in Alcobendas. Elder Driggs, my new companion, has arrived. We're in a trio now in the office as I train Elder Driggs to do my job. We're not sure exactly how long it's all going to take, but he's a very fast learner so I think he'll be trained and good to go in no time and I'll be OUT OF HERE!!! WOOOO!!!! :D Back to the field, full-time! I've noticed a lot of things that I've been missing as an office elder: the opportunity to cook good meals, working in the mornings, extra language study time, being able to focus 100% on my investigators and my sacred calling, and not have to worry about other things. I also miss being able to walk around all day (as strange as it sounds). The car is comfortable, but I miss being outside.

On the other hand, there will be some things I will miss about the office. It's odd, but I've grown to love all of the missionaries in the mission a lot as I've served them. I've learned that the key to loving someone is to serve them (something I already knew, but something I've re-learned here). I've also liked being at the "center" of everything, being able to be in the middle of the crisis and plans and all of that. I think I'll probably miss all of the business of the office, though I know that was something I complained about before. It's really strange, isn't it? The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. All I know is that I was happy before I came into the office, just doing normal missionary work, and I'll be happy to go back to that. The office has taught me a lot of things.

On a related note, I'll also m
iss the ward and the area. Alcobendas is an incredible place to work. There are so many people! I've learned how to open my mouth and truly talk with as many of them as possible. That's something that I'm going to have to take with me to my next area, for sure. I've also really grown to love a lot of the members here, especially Freencky. He's really one of the missionaries (he goes with us to all kinds of visits). He's a great friend of ours. I'll miss him, and his whole family, a whole lot. Also, there are many other members and families that I've grown to love here that I will miss. That's how it always seems to be, though. I'll miss them, but life must go on and I'm sure that I'll meet more wonderful people. Ah, transfers. Always different, always the same.

[Elder Knorr's family has the following request
s covered, but anyone's always welcome to send packages too.]

I have a few requests for the next package (whatever it may be): Deodorant. I ran out of yankee deodorant (namely Speed Stick Irish Spring Icy Blast, my personal favorite). Without it, I'm once again relegated t
o use the woefully ineffective Spanish brands. I'm going to try buying some different stuff today, but I confess that I seek without faith or hope. I need more good deodorant, for my companion's, my piso-mates', and my investigators' sake. I can survive for a while, but eventually not even I will be able to bear my own stink. Also, I realized that I like yankee candy, but what I really want is a few compacted and rolled-up bags of Honey Bunches of Oats, Lucky Charms, and Peanut Butter Crunch. Maybe even Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Breakfast cereals are of a very limited variety here. Besides that, I just want more pictures of my family.

Now that I'm done being "needy," I'll talk a bit about our current investigators. We found a great, young Peruvian couple a week ago and have taught them twice. They are really interested in learning more. Also, we've found a good handful of other investigators, with varied amounts of real interest and desires. We'll see who accepts our invitations, goes through with their commitments, and comes to church.

I got a letter from my family, including the most recent school pictures of Ethan and Megan. Wow, they look so much older! Especially Ethan, my word! I really enjoyed all of the letters and the nice things that were said. Thanks so much!

I love you all very much, and I'm glad to hear from you and
of you. Take care.

Until next time,

-Elder Knorr


Pictures - Elder Driggs [new mission secretary trainee] and Elder Anderson, sweating it out in the office. Welcome to the jungle, my friend! >:D