Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It is incredible how good the work is here in Alcobendas!

Yes, I have already heard the "rumors" of Elder Zollinger´s engagement. I too find it quite staggering how quickly he went from girl-shunner to engaged. The mission changes people, though.

Well, well, well, what do I start with? I suppose
I'll start with our proselyting this last week. We've been able to work a good amount of time in the field this week. It is incredible how good the work is here in Alcobendas! We worked only for a couple of evenings and have already found lots of investigators and had some great lessons! I find that I really miss working as a missionary, so when I get the chance I really go all-out.

We found a young family, Antonio from Spain and Clara from Paraguay. They're a good couple. She believes in God and belongs to a protestant church, and Antonio is Catholic but is willing to learn more if he can. They have two young daughters and a little baby boy, and we've had a good time teaching them. We had a good lesson with them where we talked about the Book of Mormon and how it can help us discover the truth. We have another lesson with them tomorrow.

We're also teaching a 17-year-old Colombian named Werner. He's got a bit of a rough appearance: pale, dyed black hair, piercings and chains, but he believes in God and is willing to meet with us and learn more. He works to support his family, because no one else in his family can find work. We had a good first lesson with him where we discussed Joseph Smith. He wants to know more about who Joseph Smith is and how he can know that he actually was a Prophet of God.

Besides that, we've been making a lot of contacts in the street, and going by old references to try and find someone to teach. We've been having good success in both fields finding new investigators. This is just an insanely good area! I wish I could spend more time w
orking in it.

Elder Anderson and I are having fun as a companionship. We have a lot of similar likes and interests. He was a competitive swimmer, so he fits right into the "Knorr Pod." We enjoy getting lost in Madrid with our little blue car, while enjoying such musical pieces as "Jabberwocky" and "Lightning!" by the Northridge Choir.

Alright, now down to da nitty-gritty. The office has been ok this week. I finally feel like I'm starting to gain some control over my work (though many aspects are frankly uncontrollable). I'm learning the ropes and starting to really get a lot done.
Early in the week we had to say goodbye to a missionary leaving for medical reasons. It was hard, especially since we've just had to send off two others (one from the Canaries and one from the Málaga mission on his way through Madrid to the airport), leaving because of residency issues. They say another missionary has to leave from the Málaga mission due to just that: residency. A grave reminder of how important my job is here in the office. We've been working really hard, doing absolutely everything in our power and really putting our heads together to get some of the residency steps done, and we will continue to do so. We can't have any missionaries go home because of residency. Not even one. There are NO acceptable losses.

A challenge I've been having lately is completing all of my little assignments in the face of huge assignments like residency. I tend to focus really hard on one thing and shove everything else to a lower plane of attention. This is good and bad at the same time, as there are lots of small duties that I need to do. Mom, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

All in all, I'm content. :) I'm feeling more confident in all aspects of my work and satisfied as I see some of my hard work pay off. I hope I can continue to do my best here in the office, and in the field, so that God
will be happy with my sacrifice. I really am working as hard as I can, and I feel satisfied in at least that, even if I'm not perfect and make mistakes sometimes.

I love you all very much. I'm happy to be where I am and to do what I'm doing.
I'm glad to hear that Xander has arrived home safely and is now beginning the undoubtedly miserable and thoroughly uncomfortable process of "becoming normal" (something I won't have to suffer for a few more months). Donny is also returning home soon. I wish all of my friends a "welcome home" (even though I am not there to give it personally) and I truly look forward to seeing you all again. Good friends like us cannot be separated forever.

Take care! ´Till next time,

-Elder Knorr