Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hello Family and Friends!

It is I, Elder Knorr. It's been cloudy and raining pretty hard for the past few days, which has been a welcome relief from the oncoming heat of the summer, though it's been driving my companion a bit mad (he doesn't like wearing a coat and jacket all the time). I enjoy the rain when it comes all of the sudden in the middle of a hot summer day. Very enjoyable!

Well, things are going great for us in Barrio 2. We have a baptismal date with Antoni, an awesome 9-year-old boy who loves to learn about the Gospel and, most importantly of all, does his reading in the Book of Mormon! His date is set for the 27th of June. We also have several other investigators who are showing some potential to progress and set dates for baptism. We, as always, keep working hard and are looking for more people to teach. The recent sunny weather has been sapping our strength, and it makes it difficult to go out and work all day, but we do it all the same!

Today, for the first time in forever, I don't have an ingrown toenail appointment! Yay! It's finally been showing some progress towards healing. We only hope that it continues along this path. T
he infection still isn't going down as hoped, but at least the nail isn't stuck in my toe anymore. The doctor told me not to come back until it started hurting or worrying me, and I DON'T INTEND TO.

Sounds like everyone's nice and involved in fun summer activities. That's great! I am too, if by summer activities we mean teaching, finding and working! :) It gets hot here in Madrid over the summer. Hotter than one can fathom, they say. Apparently last year I didn't get the full brunt of it because I got moved out to Segovia before the "real heat" came. We'll se
e if I can handle it.

Funny story: Last night, we were in the apartment, getting a snack in the kitchen after nightly planning, and one of my apartment-mates was talking on the phone while pouring himself a glass of organic orange juice. He took a gulp, then took a few steps back and stared at the glass, shocked. "Elder Knorr," he said, "taste it." I wasn't sure why he wanted me to, but I sipped a little into my mouth. No sooner did the drink hit my tongue than I felt the prickle of carbonation and smelled alcohol. I quickly spit it out and rinsed my mouth out multiple times. The orange juice had actually fermented! We threw it right away, but the strangeness of the whole situation gave us a good laugh in the meantime.

Since I've developed the reputation of being the best white shirt ironer in the apartment, Elder Sloan and I have struck a deal: I will iron three of his shirts if he will give me a nice missionary haircut. Elder Sloan has skill when it comes to haircuts, so we struck this deal last night. Hooray for bartering!

In our district right now, we're seeing a lot of success. 6 baptismal dates set with a potential 3 or 4 more on the way. We're seeing very good times and the fruits of our labors. But that's no reason to slack off! There's still a lot to do.

Thanks for the nice emails and letters! They give me the boost I need and help me work more effectively. Thanks for all the love and support and for communicating it; it's really appreciated.

Take care, and till next week!

-Elder Knorr