Wednesday, April 14, 2010

One step at a time...

Hello family and friends! It's me, Elder Knorr, reporting in after another fun week in the mission field!

Well, things have been going here in Barrio 4. They're still different, but they're good. There's a lot of work to do and a lot of room for us to improve as missionaries, but if we take things one step at a time, we'll get better bit by bit.

As I recently commented to Elder Jackson, it's like being in a cage-fight with 50 monkeys all at the same time. There's no way to beat them all at once. You have to focus your attention on one monkey at a time. A slightly rough analogy, but it works. :)

We've been working with our best investigator lately, Enrique. He's a really good guy, going through some really hard problems. He wants to change, but we have to go one step at a time with him. He really needs a personal testimony, and to do that he has to read, so we've been working on that. The members have been helping us a lot by being his friend and helping him not feel so lonely.


Other than that, we need more investigators, so we've been getting down to the basics again: contacting. I've discovered that there's a lot I can still learn so that I can contact better. It's a challenge here in the city because everyone tells us "Tengo prisa" (I'm in a hurry). But I've been learning from the Assistants to the President who live in our apartment and they've been helping me improve how I do the work.

In other news, my companion and I have been trying experiments with fried chicken. We hope to discover the KFC secret recipe. Short of that, we at least hope to create some delicious fried chicken to eat. :) We've been trying all kinds of things for the batter: flour, corn flour, dehydrated potatoes (that last one didn't turn out too great), taco seasoning, onion rings, etc, etc. Rumor has it that our next experiment will be to popcorn chicken, but we'll just have to see. We're not sure how to get that crunchy texture yet. Back in Segovia, I tried deep frying bacon. It kind of turned out good.... :S. Kind of. And we did the same thing to mushrooms. That was good. The possibilities are endless!

Good to hear that the great road trip went well! And Richard G. Scott came to sacrament meeting in the Northridge 14th Ward? Whoa! That's pretty incredible. I'll bet that was a fun experience for the kids, and for everyone! I'm glad everyone saw Jonathan (that just feels weird to say) [Jonathan Ogden, who returned from his mission] and got to wish him well. I can only imagine the kinds of strange changes he's going through. Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chaaaanges! You met Greg Zollinger too? Wow!! How cool! Sounds like it was a very eventful day.

Well, I'm continuing here in Madrid, doing what I can to improve and make less mistakes. Beating down one monkey at a time. Today I should get a couple of letters written. I don't know why, but it seems like ever since I came to Madrid I just don't have enough time on Preparation Days to do everything I'd like to. In Segovia it was a different story. But, no matter what happens, you've just got to keep swimming. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... :) Yes. Words of wisdom.

Thanks for the letters, emails, packages, prayers and love that you send me! I really appreciate all of the support, especially in times like these. I'll just keep swimming!

Till next time!

-Elder Knorr