Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Livin' for the City

To my brosephs, my homeslices, my pilly-wiggles, my narf-scarfs, and my family:

Well, I've been moved! Yup, I am no longer in Segovia. That means there's a lot of things to put in this email. I'll include as many as I think to include and have time to include.

MADRID BARRIO 4
First off, I am in Madrid again, serving with the Madrid 4th Ward. Though I've only been here a very short while, it seems like it's a very good ward and I'm excited to be here. I'm in Madrid again, so it's back to the lifestyle of a city missionary: riding the metro and bus, way more people to contact, etc, etc. It will be an improvement in some ways, but I will miss some of the aspects of "pueblo missionary life." It's all the same work though, when it comes down to it.

The first implication of having moved is that I probably won't get to attend the baptism [of Alfredo and William], which is too bad, because I had so much to do with the planning and preparation that I can't help but feel a little bit let down now that I won't be able to attend. We found a very beautiful place to have it, a lake about 15 minutes out of town right near the mountains. I haven't asked permission yet to leave my area and travel to attend it, but I don't think I'll get it anyway and I'm ok with that. It's just part of the work. I'll be sure to have Elder Kap take some good pictures and send me them.

Second implication of having moved: I don't know anything. That's an interesting part of missionary work. You may feel comfortable with the way missionary work is done and you may feel somewhat capable of doing it and yet, with all that, all it takes to derail you is one little transfer call. Now I know nothing, I don't know the area, the members, the way the work is done, the bus schedules, where shops are, etc, etc, etc. There are things that carry over, like teaching ability, desire to work, and things like that, but it's still a bit of a jarring change.

Moving to a new area is always a challenge. First off, I had to fit everything into two rolling suitcases. That was... an interesting experience. I had to wrestle them a bit to get them to shut, but I did it. Then, the trip to Madrid in the bus. Then, getting through the Metro with those huge, awkward, heavy suitcases is no galumph through the pasture. Thank goodness the wheels haven't broken off of my luggage yet. My luggage has actually exceeded my expectations thus far on my mission and I'm very pleased with it.

My new companion is Elder Becerra. He is from Bolivia and doesn't speak or understand very much English. But that's ok, it will give my Spanish a nice workout. :) He's been out 6 months so I'm the senior companion. Oh yeah, and I'm also the district leader. Crazy, eh? I know very little about being a district leader, but I'm working hard to try and find out what my responsibilities are and how I can fulfill them.

I'm living in a four-missionary apartment now. The assistants to the President are the other companionship, so it's interesting.

So Ethan had a dream that I came back cured of my Nerf Gun affinity? Well, let me set the record perfectly clear in his mind: When I get back, and am no longer a missionary, there will be Nerf battles. Oh, so many Nerf battles. The plastic and orange foam carnage will blot out the light of the sun, the unified roar of thousands of discharging Nerf Guns will deafen the nations, the anguished cries of velcro-tipped dart-covered victims will pierce through the cool, crisp air of the basement as a final, desperate assault is mounted against the pillow and couch-cushion fortress guarding the entrance to the bottleneck hallway, and glory, and honor, and victory will be the anthem of the day. Don't worry, Ethan. I still like Nerf Guns. :)

Well, I can't think of anything more to say right now! My address has changed, so don't mail me at the old one. The general mission address is still fine. In fact, since I am now so close to the mission's center, there will be no need to send me letters to a direct address anymore because they can get my mail to me very quickly from the mission office.

Thanks so much for the cards you've all been sending and the packages that you have sent - and that I anxiously await. :) You're all the greatest! I'll keep figuring things out here in my new area and I'll be sure to tell you all about the adventures that Elder Becerra and I have while serving the Lord here in Barrio 4! I love you all.

-Elder Knorr

P.S. I am now allowed to send pictures over email! I forgot my camera this week but I'll bring it next time.