Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Rain, then cold, then rain AND cold!

We've been getting some fun weather lately! Yesterday it rained constantly all day long! I now have a personal witness that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains. (I may have used that joke before...) Anyway, Presidente Galera has told us that the reservoirs need more rain, and he said that he wishes it would rain more. But he's not the one who has to try and contact in it! :)

Transfers just happened this last Monday, with some big changes in the mission. My companion and I stayed here safe in Segovia (which is good, because packing and moving is such a headache!) but things are shifting around a lot because of the dropping number of missionaries, which naturally means that things are being consolidated a good deal. Some of the smaller pueblo areas that don't baptize much have to be closed. Segovia may be next; we don't know. But we keep working hard to find the elect here just the same.

I'll have plenty of money to survive from here on out, thanks to a new system that the financieros [bookkeeping elders who work in the mission office] have figured out. Money came in yesterday, so I guess you could say that I'm Mistah Moneybagzz!! :) I'll be sure to stock up on all the essentials this week in grocery shopping.

As for the work here, we've been unable to teach our investigators Itso and Martinez because they just haven't cared enough to show up. We don't know what's going on. We've tried to set up several lessons and invite them to church but they stand us up every time. We're looking for new investigators:)

How's the Knorr Family Scripture Study and Prayers going? What book are you reading? A good idea came to me for a New Year's Resolution: Why don't we all read a book together (perhaps the New Testament) and put our commentaries in our emails to each other? Maybe my brother and sisters can even write a sentence or two from what they read, or perhaps include their favorite line or favorite scene from the reading, and I'll do the same in my email. We'll read maybe 1 or 2 chapters every week and then comment on them. Do you like this idea? If so, I'll leave it to you guys to choose what book and decide the system for this. I'd love to study the scriptures with my family again.

Thanks, family and friends!!! I love you all very much and am very grateful for all that you've done for me.

-Elder Knorr

P.S. Turns out I have a bit of extra time today! So I'll add some other thoughts:

We had an idea to find new investigators this morning: Why not offer "Quit Smoking" classes? It's just that hordes of people smoke here, and I can't imagine that all of them want to be smokers. Who knows how many of them want to quit? So we're thinking of advertising free addiction breaking classes to these people via flyers and signs and thus teach them the gospel and really help them change their lives for the better, in more than one aspect!

We've been teaching the family of Luis Enrique lately, teaching him all the things that need to be taught after baptism. He is one to expatiate [dwell upon/develop], so sometimes the lessons get a little distracted. We need to work harder to keep the lessons more focused and spiritual. But we do love them, and they love us. We've developed great relationships with the people here in Segovia.

Alright, time's up now! I've said it once and I'll say it again: I love you all and thanks for your support and love!