Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Working Hard, Using our Time Wisely, Being Obedient

Hello my family and friends! I love you all a lot!

We just got back from the zone barbecue at the mission home. Lots of fun! I played Ultimate Frisbee for the first time in ages and got incredibly sweaty and a bit sunburnt, we sang some manly hymns in a group (very powerful sounding) and we had some burgers and hotdogs (though the delicious guacamole chip-dip made all other food options completely superfluous). All around good times! After this email I'm off to give a baptismal interview to an investigator of the office elders. Then, if we have time, we'll go shopping for food. I hope we have time to do it all! :S

The work has been fantastic in our area lately! :) Antoni was baptized this last week. Planning the service was a bit of a nail-biter up till the last minute (it always seems to be that way; trying to get clothes that fit, filling up the font, problems with the program, etc...) but it went smoothly and without a hitch! Madrid 2nd Ward now has 6 new, young members. Now, our b
est investigator is named José and is from Nicaragua. His wife, Gabriela, is from Guatemala and is already a member. They are both very good and interested in meeting with us, and in studying the Book of Mormon in between lessons. José has a witty and fun personality and is truly interested in the Church and is set on becoming a member. He is set to be baptized on July 10th, so we're working at a quick pace. Tonight we'll teach him about following the Prophet, the 10 Commandments, keeping the Sabbath Day holy and the Law of Chastity. It should be a fun night! Other than José, we still have Claris, Mylena and Clara (the Bolivian family). We've had some trouble with the baptismal dates we've set with them, but they'll be back on track in no time.

Other things in the work: working hard, using our time wisely, being obedient. What else is there? :) I'm just really enjoying my mission and this unique experience. My personal studies have given me a much deeper appreciation for the Word of God. I hope that I can yet be the means by which many souls come to know their Heavenly Father. I've still got plenty of time left, so there's still a lot of adventure left to go. :)

It's good to hear that everyone is happy and busy. Being a district leader is great right now because my district is just so awesome! We have a lot of baptismal dates and potential to set more. I'm blessed to be in the company of such fine missionaries. (In my district right now: Elder Knorr, Elder Benson, Elder Haynie, Elder Sloan, Elder Whitesides, Elder Dredge.)

It has been hot here (and they say it's just beginning). I sunscreen up every day to try and keep my nose and ears the same color as the rest of my face (a constant battle when you work outside all day). My "missionary tan line" is growing every day more bold (high neckline and wristwatch) but I wear it as a badge of honor (as does my companion with his). The Metro workers have been on strike the past couple of days, so we have to walk everywhere or take the insanely crowded bus. It makes for an interesting dynamic. More contacting, harder to get to lessons. We'll survive.

Well, I've greatly enjoyed writing to you all today. I love you! I'm deeply grateful for the support you send me and the faith you place in me. This is the Lord's work, and it truly is a pleasure to do it. Speaking of which, word on the street is that Alex has his papers in. Yee-yeah! :D I love you, man. Get out there and do me proud.

Till next time,

-Elder Knorr