Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Good to hear about Daryn [Stanley]’s farewell talk. I’m sure he will be a great missionary! There are ups and downs, like anything in life, but there are things I’ve learned as a missionary that I don’t think I could have learned in any other way. It is a truly unique experience and I’m very glad to have it.

So, my week. It was good. We have been struggling to set baptismal dates with our investigators. While they are all very good investigators with good potential to progress, they’re having some doubts. The most common one we’re getting is "I want to learn more." The date is a whole month away and there is plenty of time to learn, and even when the date comes, they won’t know everything and that’s still OK. I don’t even know everything! Anyway, that is our main focus right now: helping them to accept a date and start working towards it.

We have had a good time helping Elder and Hermana Jewell get settled in and get working here. It’s interesting because neither of us know anything about how a couple and a companionship of missionaries are supposed to work or coordinate together, but we are slowly figuring things out. They are a great couple so we get along quite well.

You may have heard about the unusually strong wind storms that Spain has been getting. We heard that the winds reached hurricane force. Well, it’s been fun! A few days ago, it was really, really windy. Lots of trees were knocked down, tons of street signs got bent over like twist ties, billboards destroyed, red ceramic roof tiles tossed into the street. After seeing the signs bent and contorted in various and strange ways, I felt compelled to say "There is no spoon..." [scene from “The Matrix” movie]. We got to walk in the crazy strong wind several times during the day and it was quite the adventure! But we didn’t get injured or blown away so it’s all good.

We have a crazy week planned next week! We will be going down to Madrid this coming Wednesday for Zone Conference, and we will be visited by a member of the area presidency. I’m very excited!

We all anxiously await the changing of the mission boundaries! Apparently, there will be six elders who get transplanted into the Malaga Mission or something like that. Who it will be is the great Arcanum [arbitrariness] right now. I hope it’s not me, but at the same time I hope it is me. I don’t know. I suppose I could go either way.

There’s not much more to say at this point, just that things are going well, the work is very good lately and we are doing everything we possibly can to keep it that way. I’m learning that a mission in Europe, while it typically baptizes less than, say, Brasil, is still a very good experience and I love it. We really have to fight to get converts, every step of the way, but that just makes it all the more satisfying and happy when things go right. I’ve really learned how to dedicate myself to a cause with faith, not necessarily knowing or seeing the result for weeks, but the results do come and I’ve learned how to trust in them. After all, you know what they say about that "one soul"...

D&C 18:15

Well, that’s about all the things I have to say in this email. I love you all very much! I’ve gotten more letters, from Kristen, Family, Elder Hacking, Elder Skousen, and Megan. Thanks for writing, everyone! Oh, and also, apparently Jillian has written me 5 or something times without a response. I have only gotten two letters from her so far, and responded to both. You may want to check the address, Jillian. Also, Kristen has my direct address now. I would write it down in this email but I can’t remember what it is. Perhaps she could distribute it. Also, while writing to me with that address will get me the mail in under a week (I think) KEEP IN MIND that it may be changing soon as transfers are approaching quickly. Don’t send any mail to that address after the 14th of March so as to avoid it missing me.

Thanks everyone! You really are the greatest friends and family that a missionary could ever hope to have! Things are going well and I’m loving the mission.

Till next time,

Elder Knorr